I have always been a bad money manager; making un-wise decisions about money is my second nature. “Eternally broke” were the two words that described me perfectly.
Over a period of time, however, i have discovered, you dont have to live frugally or be a miser in order to save money. Its just about making few minor changes in your lifestyle- By that i dont mean, give up on your eating out or stop having fun, like most of the money saving tips suggest you.
Over the period of next few days, i would like share, what i have learnt about money and how to save it without having to give up your little indulgences.
This week, lets look at how to save money while going grocery shopping in Bangalore.
- If you are in the habit of buying groceries as and when you need it, or weekly, stop that immediately. It is advisable to buy all the groceries you require once a month, except perishables which can be bought weekly.
- A grandmother’s advise, but time tested and true. Dont go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
- Make a list of all the things you will need and stick to that. If you must buy something that is not in the list, then check if it is a necessity and it must go in the list for the next month.
- Save these lists and bills. It will help you compare your expenses month on month and helps budgeting too.
- Check your grocery lists carefully. Does it contain things like maggie and ready-to-eat foods? Avoid it. It keeps you healthy and wealthy to eat freshly cooked food. Google search to get the recipes for easy-to-cook dishes. You can enjoy the process, eat fresh food and your family will love you for innovative ideas.
- your newspapers carry with them fliers for various departmental stores every week. Cut out the coupons for discounts if any and save them. It will come in handy when you are going shopping.
These are what I have learnt about grocery shopping. Feel free to add your own ideas to this. Happy Saving 🙂